Salted Caramel and White Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipe by Gabriella Esposito as seen on expressoshow.com
60ml maple syrup
120g Selati Castor Snow
150g butter, chopped
75g white chocolate, chopped
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp Malden salt
1 egg, beaten
10 caramel sweets (such as creme caramels or any caramel toffee)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Add 10 cupcake wrappers to cupcake baking pan.
2. Melt maple syrup, milk, sugar, butter and white chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until all has melted together. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate and salt.
4. Pour melted butter ingredients into flour mixture and whisk to combine. Add beaten egg and whisk until smooth.
5. Spoon mixture into cupcake holders until 1/4 way full. Place caramel sweet into holders and then top with your remaining cupcake mixture.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack then top with salted caramel frosting.
For the salted caramel frosting:
175g Selati castor snow
175g butter, chopped
1 heaped teaspoon Malden/rock salt
1. Place sugar in a large pot and cook on a high heat until a dark copper color
2. Meanwhile, while waiting for your sugar, bring cream to a gently boil in a saucepan and then remove from the heat.
3. Once the sugar had reached that amber colour, remove from the heat and pour in your cream and continue to stir vigorously. Be careful not to burn yourself!
4. Once the hot bubbles have started to simmer down (your mixture should still be bubbling) add salt and butter bit by bit, continuing to stir the whole time.
5. Once all ingredients are combined, pour caramel into a mixing bowl and put into the fridge to set until cold, around 2-3 hours.
6. Once set, beat caramel with an electric heater until it turns a lighter colour and has a more thick buttercream consistency.
7. Pipe or spoon this onto cooled cupcakes with and decorate with chopped white chocolate.